Coach Custer came to Bartlesville in the 1924 school year as a Junior High coach. He later became the head football, and head basketball coach, for Bartlesville High School. Custer was also an outstanding golfer and softball player. Coach Custer served as the Athletic Director for Bartlesville Schools until 1948 when he resigned to take a position in the science department at Tulsa Central High School. In all coach Custer served the Bartlesville school system for 29 years. C.C. “Lefty” Custer passed away on June 21, 1953. The stadium was dedicated in his honor when it opened in 1954.